Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Find of the Century!

This was the day of the Find of the Century! Well, maybe not the find of the century but top 10 on my list of finds!

The day started out with a casual stroll through the flea market. We found a few fun items - a brown pitcher, and a few pieces of the square plate pattern for my daughter. We ended by heading for the vegetable isle. We picked up bananas, strawberries, avocados, and a pineapple at considerably less than you pay at the grocery store. Can't beat fifty cents a piece for avocados!
unmarked brown pitcher
Syracuse Trend







Buster wasn't through looking and wanted to stop at a few places on the way home. We stopped at a yard sale. There were so few items that I am not sure why they bothered. A store had a bunch of stuff outside and Buster pulled over. I saw some really over priced items and headed for the car. Buster found two iron stands that I thought were holders with a base to sit on the table and a vertical piece with a hook to hold a lantern with a votive candle. Buster held them horizontally and wanted to use them to hang ferns. They were certainly heavy enough! Besides, he got them for a dollar a piece. Not much of an investment if they didn't work out.


fern hanging from the iron hook


We headed on down the road. Buster saw a shop that he thought looked like fun. After he pulled over, he said for me to look around for a while, he wanted to sit in the car. As I walked in the shop, the shop attendant made it abundantly clear that she was trying to move merchandise! Make an offer and she was willing to deal. Many items did not have prices on them. That always makes me a bit uneasy. I feel like they are trying to size me up before they tell me how much they want for it.

The shop was a little dark and it was stuffed full of merchandise. There was tons of stuff to look at but the things that were marked, were a bit expensive for my taste. The clerk said that she was willing to deal so I decided to ask how much she would be willing to go on a couple of pitchers. They were ball pitchers in bright yellow and bright blue. I have some of my grandmother's creamer sized ones and I think they are from the 1940s. I asked how much she wanted for the pitchers and she turned them over looking for a mark on the bottom. They were unmarked and she said $30. I thought she meant each but it was for both. I was interested! I usually see them for about $40 each.

blue and yellow ball pitchers


Next, I asked about a solid white teapot. I knew it was a Russel Wright Iroquois Casual but I didn't offer the information since I knew she would check the bottom. She retrieved the teapot from the front room while I continued to look around. She said she would take $15. I said how about $12 and I would take the pitchers too. She jumped on it. I noticed an old green pottery mixing bowl. It was probably from the 1930s or 40s. She wanted $60 for it and said that she couldn't come down on that one. I understood. It was much older than the other items. I will keep that one in mind for another day. I took my finds and headed out to the car.

Russel Wright white teapot


Buster had that look in his eye. He thought I was going to run in and run back out. When I stayed for thirty minutes, he knew I was making a purchase. But, all in all, he is happy when I am happy and I was grinning from ear to ear. I couldn't wait to tell him about the Russel Wright teapot! Twelve dollars for a Russel Wright teapot is unheard of! I was so excited! Buster was amused that I was so excited.

Of course, I had to get on the Internet as soon as I got home to research the price. Russel Wright teapots in white were offered on a number of sites for $200 dollars! There were lesser prices on EBay but you never know what the final price will be on an EBay auction.

The debate - is a Russel Wright teapot in white for $12 a pretty spectacular find? Enough to make it to the top ten list? What is your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think-