Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Few Local Finds

I picked up a few local finds this week. First, I have to say that I am a big believer in the local library. Each spring the public library has a book sale. They get rid of the old to make way for the new. And, boy, does the public benefit while helping out the library. I spent $24  and came away with 18 audio books and twelve paperbacks. The audio books were $1 each and the paperbacks were $0.50. That should feed my need for reading material for a while. Why so many audio books? I listen to them on the way to and from work, and on long roadtrips by myself. Audio books are stress relievers on the way to work, and keep me alert on long trips. (Be prepared to fight the crowds and bring your own bags or boxes for your purchases.)

18 audio books and 12 paperbacks - $24


After the stop at the library, I decided to hit a few favorite stops and try out a new one. Relatively new, Heron House is located on Hwy 90 in an old pharmacy location. As soon as you step through the door, you are asked to stow purses, diaper bags, ect. in a locker with a key. You keep the key with you as you browse around the store. The store is arranged in little vignettes. As you wander through the store, you are gently guided through the aisles from the beginning to the end so that you don't miss anything. The items are a little more high end than I usually look for but if you need a whole set of bedroom furniture or a sofa and matching chair, you won't have any trouble finding it here. These items are in great shape and are ready for living - no refinishing needed.

On to America's Thrift Store in Tillman's Corner. My daughter was just telling me that it is just "so tacky" that she doesn't have a sugar bowl to match her Blue Heaven dinnerware. Lo and behold - a sugar and creamer (minus the lid) for $1.49 in America's Thrift! (Don't tell Buster but I stole a lid from his yellow sugar bowl. It fits perfectly!) I don't usually get that lucky to find something that I need when I need it. Next, I came across a bread plate in a mid-century pattern that I love.
The Blue Heaven sugar and creamer - $1.49. The "borrowed" lid fits just right.
Mid-Century pattern (Taylorstone Cathay) bread plate - $0.50


I have to run in Goodwill when I am out this way. I happened to arrive as they were putting furniture on the floor. I spied a small dresser that didn't even have a price yet. The young man rolling it into place said he would send someone right out. The man came out and eye-balled it, and said, "Mmmm, it needs a little work. How about $15.99?" Oh, my gosh! How did I get that lucky??? A new finish and a little loving care, and it will be as good as new - or even better than new! It is a nice solid piece. This little dresser is definitely my find for the week. I love Goodwill!
The missing knob was in the drawer - $15.99
One more stop - a new consignment shop in midtown - Divine Consignment, an electic shop with lots of furniture and housewares. My favorite was the vintage linens. Anyone with vintage dinnerware needs a few vintage linens to show them off. These linens were in near perfect condition. I picked up two cherry blossom napkins to go with my daughter's cherry blossom plates. She will be pleased and surprised. I know I will make repeat visits to this store.
Two cherry blossom napkins - $5

All in all, today was a successful day of thrifting! I may not have been on the backroads, and Buster wasn't with me, but it was relaxing wandering around town and browsing at my leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think-