Sunday, October 17, 2010

Backroads in Missippissi

Another beautiful weekend and another chance to hit the backroads. We throw a few things in the BMW and head toward Mississippi. We start out on Hwy 45 and come upon one yard sale after another. Some of these sales look like permanent sales and I have to wonder if the recession is forcing people to try to come up with ways to make a few extra dollars here and there.

We came across a lot of interesting things. An old fashioned tricycle that had been made into a wine rack. A table with one broken leg. Lots, and lots, and lots of Christmas decorations. (I hope I remember this next time I think I need more Christmas decorations.) Many, varied, and interesting things made from horse shoes. The woman at the horse shoe yard sale followed Buster around so closely that I think she thought he was going to grab 30 or 40 lbs of cast iron pots and make a run for it.

After several hours and no luck, we decided to change highways. We turned onto Hwy 15 and found lots of uninhabited land. We finally came to the tiny town of Louin and found a junk store with a Rummage Sale sign. Three elderly gentlemen were visiting on the front porch and we scooted past them to walk inside a wonderland of junk. Oh, what a rummage sale! Rummaging would be the only way to find anything!

I stayed in the main room and Buster ventured off to the right. The piles were unbelieveable. Ninety percent of this stuff needed to head to the junk yard. Cardboard boxes in the back were tumbled on top of each other in a stack ten feet tall. I squeezed down one aisle and up the other. I stopped for a minute and heard a rustle next to me. I thought, "That's funny. I am not moving." I saw a long skinny tail slide along a box, and then a whole mouse, and then another one. Okay. Time to go find Buster. I am out of there!

Buster's rummaging is more productive. He found a wonderful large white speckled bowl with blue stars. The manufacturer is Royal but I don't know the pattern. The elderly gentleman wanted $2 for the bowl but would let me have everything on the table for $75. I declined the whole table offer but did take the bowl. We did shake off a few mouse droppings before wrapping it and putting it in the BMW. As I finished my purchase, Buster chatted with the men on the front porch. As most men want to know, they ask Buster, "How fast will it go?" Of course, Buster told a few tales of his adventures in the BMW. (I think they grow each time he tells them.) The men enjoyed the stories and had a few laughs before we headed out.


Love those stars! Royal Celeste
 We put the top down before we got back on the road. The day was cooling down and we decided to head back home. We took I20 back to Hwy 45 and headed south. The perfect end to a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think-